From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:54:17 -0400
>Metal exposed to fire oxidizes.  It corrodes.  High heat causes things
>to distort. Poor environmental conditions cause media to fade away.
>None of these different technologies ever consider protecting the
>collection it seems.

Hugh-

I'd suggest reading the test specs on the NORSAM HD-Rosetta material- I
think you'd find them to be quite interesting and sufficient to meet both
heat and corrosion resistance

http://www.norsam.com/report.html

I'm not suggesting this is the be-all end-all for everything, and until it
gets into mainstream use, and similar to what happened to RFID, the price
per unit drops to an acceptable level, then it certainly won't be in typical
production... but if I were NARA and I was looking for a means of storing
images of TRULY significant materials, I'd certainly not pass this over.

And there are other instances outside of the Federal Govt that may want to
consider this as a deep archive media for their vital and significant
materials that are static in nature and critical to their continuity of
operations.

I know some work was underway about 10 years ago to commercialize the use of
the technology, but never heard what happened or why it didn't move forward

http://snipurl.com/j7enw

And yeah, I know about the electron microscope issue, but that doesn't mean
that a service bureau of some type couldn't show up on the landscape and
offer a service converting, writing, and storing information in eye-readable
form to HD-Rosetta media and then subsequently also be the source for
reproduction and/or blow back of the images.

I'm just sayin'....

Larry