From:
"Vandenberg, Erin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:04:27 -0500
I have several years of experience dealing with paper and microfilm
records management, but I admit I am lacking in experience dealing with
managing electronic records.  I've tossed out the idea of an ERMS to
several university administrators and some seem receptive to the idea.
The head of our IT department has asked me to provide him a list of
skills I would like to see in whichever IT staff person or persons he
assigns to this project.  And this is where I'm stumped.  I'm not even
really sure *I* have the requisite skills to develop such a project so
I'm unsure how to go about making a list of skills or experience for the
IT department.

So, listserv, I turn to you:

What would be your dream skill set for any IT staff assigned to help you
research and possibly implement an ERMS?  Or is the answer "it depends"?
Should I just say we need to hire a consultant and be done with it? Or
did I just offend everyone and open a huge can of worms?

Erin Vandenberg
Director of Records Management
Office of the Secretary
DePaul University