From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:42:09 -0400
Hi Erin...

Doug has provided a very good starting point.  AIIM is also a great
organization for helping individuals to manage electronic information.
This link may be of interest to you.
http://www.aiim.org/erm/infonomics/best-practices-electronic-records-mgmt.aspx

I was in your shoes 5 years ago.  Knowing that e-records would be good for
the organization, I started to read and read and read.  Also, I attended
many international seminars on the subject. I too a certificate program
through AIIM.  It was excellent. Initially, it seemed overwhelming.  ERMS
is a collaboration between records, IT and groups like legal.  You don't
have to go alone on this one.  However, if you want to keep records
foremost within the organization, you need to step up to the plate and
become involved.  I would guess that this list is full of individuals who
would like to be in your spot right now.

So take advantage of the situation, read, take some training and if all
goes well, you could be the project lead.  Much of what you have learned
as a RM can be applied. Also, as you suggest ,consultants can be good and
will help you keep on the "straight and narrow" and can be involved as
much or as little as you want.

Good luck.

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"