From:
Gordon Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:46:33 -0500
A reminder and a skill:

When involved in a project such as you describe, I keep reminding myself
to keep my concepts discreet.  I try to always remember that IT and the
software vendors provide tools, but you can't expect them to provide a
program.  Content management provides software that you need to
effectively, efficiently install and run ERMS.  But the conception,
architecture, governance, controls, etc. comes from the discipline of
RIM.  Also, I keep translating, as records people and IT people tend to
speak different languages in different styles/motifs.

As for a skill, I think change management is critical and often
overlooked.  I am sure that more projects fail because of people than
fail because of software.  When I was a pastor, we used to say The Last
Seven Words of the Church were, "We never did it that way before."  The
same holds for many organizations faced with moving to electronic
records.  In my book, change management can not be oversold.

I hope this helps.  Good luck

Gordy Hoke
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
http://gejhoke.googlepages.com