From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:38:32 -0700
This raises a couple of interesting questions.  Does a storage vendor have the authority to open one of your boxes without permission.  And does unauthorized access by vendor staff (e.g. unauthorized by the owner of the box) constitute a data breach. Your contract may have language that allows vendors staff to access contents for routine maintenance -- but perhaps we all could do a better job of reviewing our storage contracts.

If a vendor agreed to store your boxes -- are they still required to store your so called damaged boxes after they have been reboxed.  After all you paid for their storage and they agreed to store them.  It doesn't seem logical that a vendor could dispose of your property without permission.  The last time I had the battery replaced in my car the mechanic asked me if I wanted the old battery returned.  You would think the same would hold for boxes.

David Gaynon
David.gaynon@yaho