From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:53:49 -0500
I've been following the discussions of re-boxing and transportation
charges with great interest.  As one whose firm is a vendor, I pay
fairly close attention to the contractual basis for services
relationships between any vendor and its customers.

What I have seen as a customer philosophy from some customers:  "If what
you wish to charge for is not reflected in the contract, then it is not
something for which we have authorization to pay you."  That seems quite
reasonable and quite fair.  A fair response on the vendor's side might
well be "For those services that a customer requests....we must have a
mechanism that allows us to charge for that service or must decline to
provide the service."  There's a good deal of give and take here....and
negotiation.  In most cases, a solid Statement of Work that is to be
part of the contract can serve as a good underpinning.  No Statement of
Work is likely to achieve perfection, but it can go a long way in
defining what the customer expectations are and what the vendor
expectations are.  Changes that reflect additional service requests can
then be handled on a "change request" basis.

Please note that I'm not making these comments as a specific comment on
records storage contracts, but on any services that those of us on this
list might turn to an outsource service partner to provide.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+