From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:44:57 -0400
>I've been following the discussions of re-boxing and transportation
>charges with great interest.  As one whose firm is a vendor, I pay
>fairly close attention to the contractual basis for services
>relationships between any vendor and its customers.

As both Hugh and I have said on multiple occasions regarding records storage
contracts, it's important as part of your management of the agreement to
periodically inspect your holdings and validate that they are there and as
shown in the re-boxing thread, the condition they're in.

Managing ANY contract starts with clear SLAs (Service Level Agreements)
along with Terms and Conditions, but ensuring they are adhered to requires
ongoing diligence on the part of the client.  And as Doug mentioned, if a
change is needed, then it needs to be negotiated... but similarly, if
services are not being provided in accordance with the agreement, the vendor
needs to be called on it.

In Steve Cohen's post- I'd have to wonder if the 'transportation' charge is
possibly because the vendor has relocated these boxes to a facility other
than the one they were originally shipped to?  And IF this was done at the
convenience of the provider (a less expensive facility, or records with no
access) then why wasn't the client informed?

In Dave Gaynon's post he asked about the right to access contents- I can't
answer if they have a 'right' or not, but if the box bursts or is damaged,
they may have no option but to 'view' the contents.  HOWEVER, if you are
sending PII or especially PHI to a third party to store, you should have a
Business Associate's Agreement on file with them.   http://shrinkster.com/16zi

Larry