From:
Mimi Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:49:29 -0700
David,

Oh, sir--you hit my sweet spot.  Thank you.  I LOVE--absolutely LOVE--talking GAAP and GARP.

I think the emphasis of the articles you posted is a chronological account based on reaction--the governing body's reaction to the economic times.  I'm proud of ARMA that it reacted along similar pathways.  It recognized that the times call for action--that we need something like GARP to declare our...yawp?

What interests me most about GAAP and GARP is the valuation of intangible assets on the balance sheets--and what is a record if not an intangible asset?  As far as I can tell, GAAP still hasn't addressed the valuation of records well.  FASB tried; IAPP has been interested for a while; IASB supposedly partnered up with FASB but could only compose a discussion paper that may or may not be due Fall of this year.  The closest who has come to defining intangible assets well is GASB in 2007 (I write more about this in my post, "There's a Gap in GAAP" dated May 21, 2009).

BTW, I remember chatting with Larry M (proud to serve under him on the SDC!) at one point around 2004-2005.  He was very kind; he shared with me that the SDC leadership had been thinking about that for some time.  Myself, I've been writing about it for years since then, first in the ARMA Houston newsletter and then on my blog.  I took the liberty of basing my version of GARP on the Benedon and Robek top ten influences.  After a time, however, I withdrew half of the GARP postings upon further review about 1.5 years into posting.  When I first started blogging, the company I was with did not have any rules regarding posts about the daily diary of a Records Manager...as the company culture grew more sophisticated it recognized the power of ecommunications.  Out of respect, I changed directions of the blog, but I still write privately for future use.

I could talk about this forever and I certainly wish to do so offline.  Thank you so much for bringing this up--it's a pleasure to chat about this.

Sincerely,

Mimi Dionne, MLIS, CA, CDIA+, CRM, PMP
Cell: 303.501.7657
Blog: http://rimnant.blogspot.com
Twitter: mimidionne
Facebook:mimidionne
LinkedIn:Mimi Dionne, PMP, CRM, CDIA+, CA
Email: [log in to unmask]