From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:38:35 -0700
Is Fred going to play the guitar?   I will probably sign up for and take
the web seminar.   Good education and CRM credential maintenance credits
too.

I like standards.  The best examples are with entertainment media; 78
RPM and then 33 RPM and 45 RPM vinyl music recordings; 8-track tapes
(there had been 4-track before the 8-track standard); reel-to-reel
tapes; then cassettes; then CDs, now digital formats.  VHS tapes (Beta
had better technology according to my younger bro).  However..., somehow
the world never did set upon one DVD standard.  I have a PC at home
w/DVD player/recorder, a 7-inch portable DVD player, a DVD player hooked
up to my TV in the den, a DVD player/recorder hooked up to my TV in the
bedroom, one in the PC in my work office, and I used to have a Canon
video camera that used mini-DVDs as a media.   I have lots of movies,
video clips, music videos, etc. on DVD.  However..., not all can play on
all the players.  With some I have to literally try several before
finding which ones a particular DVD movie, as an example, will play.
With the mini-DVDs from my Canon video camera I never could get the
mini-DVDs to play on anything except playback on the camera itself; from
which I would dub to VHS or regular size DVD.  I loaned it to an
employee for her trip to Hawaii and then later sold it to her.   DVD is
a good example of a media that never did settle upon a standard.  It
hurt the industry, in my opinion, and we the consumers.

I hope that any RIM standards-setting initiatives or campaigns by our
profession does not inadvertently lend to inhibit innovation.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 6/3/2009 10:11 AM >>>
2 points
1) When I mentioned that GARP was RMs GAAP, our C level immediately
supported any and all endeavors we may make to align our RM program
with
the GARP principles (where $$$ allows).  We have been GAAP "compliant"
for years and years, and the similarities were quickly recognized.

2) For ARMA members who want more info or who want to ask questions an
ARMA web seminar is scheduled:

Title: Generally Accepted Recordkeeping PrinciplesSM: The Key to Your
Organization's Success
<snip>