From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:42:57 -0400
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Jones, Virginia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 2 points
> 1) When I mentioned that GARP was RMs GAAP, our C level immediately
> supported any and all endeavors we may make to align our RM program with
> the GARP principles (where $$$ allows).  We have been GAAP "compliant"
> for years and years, and the similarities were quickly recognized.

Just in case anyone was wondering the GAAPs took awhile to come into
fruition. here are some links with the history of the AICPA and accounting
in general. why? because I see similarities in the development and
acceptance of the accounting profession with that of records management

"The Great Depression rocked the integrity of the accounting
profession...Corporate accounting was anything goes. There were no rules,
per se. There were just “generally accepted accounting principles”. They
were generally accepted because most accountants did certain things. Since
accountants were hired by and answered to corporate management, they served
the needs of management, not the public. That meant that in practice, the
primary function of accounting was to make management look good. Things had
to change. While the profession managed to escape the full New Deal
government takeover, rules, standards and legal responsibility had to be
shouldered. The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
created their own rule-making body, the Committee on Accounting Procedure."
http://www.lemoineandjames.com/gaap/11history.html

http://www.aicpa.org/About+the+AICPA/Understanding+the+Organization/History+of+the+AICPA.htm

http://www.aicpa.org/MediaCenter/History_Background.htm

--