From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:20:42 -0400
In addition to the numerous other reasons folks have stated, here are my
major concerns with having our storage boxes "automatically" reboxed by
the vendor:

1) Our records are indexed in the order they are placed in the box,
allowing quick access to a file or document when needed.  If someone
else reboxes the contents, not knowing our policy or rules, we find the
contents not matching the index.  This sometimes leads to mistaken
concern about "missing" files/documents, and definitely makes retrieval
of particular files or documents more time consuming.

2) Privacy concerns - big time.  Many of our records include customer
personal information.  Under normal circumstances, the employees of the
storage firm would not access these records.  However, reboxing offers
the opportunity to visually scan or even read the material.

3) Degree of damage.  I want to know (for reasons stated above) if one
or more of our boxes are damaged.  If we are being told (or charged for)
certain boxes have been reboxed, and our records show those boxes have
not had retrieval activity by us, then I want to know HOW the damage
occurred.  If the explanation is not satisfactory, this will be noted as
a minus for the vendor during the next bid cycle.

4) Of course, cost.  If it is not on the contract, we will not pay the
charges.  This policy is stated very clearly on the bid documents and on
the subsequent contract.  We actually had one vendor respond to the last
RFP by stating their terms and conditions were being bid, not ours.
They were not considered for the contract.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division