From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:35:46 -0400
Good day all......

I have just received approval from senior management to have a cleanup day
on July 17th.  We have a centralized paper records centre as well as an
ERMS which is fairly new.  As a result, many of the records have not been
input into the system. We have taken a day forward approach with a
centralized scan station, but our organization is creating records at such
a pace that the scanning group can't keep up.   We want to use this day as
a records awareness day, in the disguise of a cleanup day.  Of course, any
records will follow retention, and accordingly, will only be disposed of
at the end of its retention life.  A recent audit in one department found
27 missing records.  I would suggest that if we corporately do this, we
may find other missing files as well.

However, there are many paper documents, reports from outside agencies and
non-records existing around the organization.  It is this material that we
want staff to locate and dispose of if it carries no value.  Similarly, we
have this type of material on shared drives.

We want to make this a fun day hoping that by doing this, most staff will
participate.    Off hand, we will have a pizza lunch, have prizes for
clean desks, and prizes for those who store material into our ERMS.   Have
any of you done this before using a similar approach and able to share any
thoughts or ideas as to how to make this work?

Thanks,

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"