From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:09:16 -0400
> Here is the procedure for reporting the violation:
>
> 1) A written complaint stating the specific actions taken by the
> PRISM International member that are in violation of the code of
> ethics should be sent to me at [log in to unmask] or sent by mail to
> the address of PRISM International shown below.

or by Mail:

> Jim Booth
> Executive Director
> PRISM International
> 1418 Aversboro Rd. Suite 201
> Garner NC 27529  USA

As I stated, PRISM members take these issues to heart.  They set up a
vehicle to post a complaint and a program to act on it.  Now we will
see if RM's will follow through and submit complaints for unethical or
unprofessional actions.

While many have complained on the List, I doubt that few if any will
follow through to submit a complaint.  That failure to react
proactively is how these damaging precedents become standard
conditions in future contracts.  Owner operated centers must move to
the center and if RM'c can't be bothered to speak out, they must start
adding the same fees to their contract or they would soon be out of
business.

Several CRC's responded to me that if a box comes in to them which is
in poor condition, they send it back.  The client must repack it. They
do not want the liability associated with them being in your records.

Years ago, CRC contracts had a clause in them that allowed them to
open a box and inspect it for vermin, an incendiary device, or
anything that could harm their CRC.  That clause was removed for the
most part because it placed liability on the CRC from several
positions.  The new laws make that liability even greater for allowing
a CRC to be in the records collections unless you have given them
written permission.

If someone does send in a protest, please let the List know. Since
ARMA won't act to protect you, you have to stand up for yourselves.
It would be nice to see someone actually speak out. The question is
"Will anyone have the courage to follow through?" If you do, I can
think of a hundred different CRC's that will applaud your effort.

Here is one reply that was sent to me:

> We do not charge permanent removal fees, if fact we have paid them
> for several customers.
>
> Every January we make every customer aware of any tape or box that
> is out and has not returned within the past 12 months so they can
> perm it out free of charge so storage billing stops.
>
> We send out bi-annual notices asking “Do you know who is on your
> authorized list?”
>
> We removed the fuel surcharge as soon as gas prices went down. How
> many RM’s are still paying a fuel surcharge?
>
> We promote destroy dates with every container that arrives in our
> facility.
>
> If a container needs repacking we notify our customers. If we did it
> we pack it for free. If not we obtain authorization to bill.
>
> Seems like ethics 101 but some other CRC’s would call us nuts to do
> most of this. Our philosophy from top to bottom is to do these
> things to gain the complete trust and confidence of everyone that
> decides to move to our facility. We have not lost one single
> customer ever, ever, not once due to service failure, or rate
> increase.  Its interesting how few, if any negative posts are made
> about independent CRC’s on the listserve- we all have a vested
> interest in what happens as Owner-Managers, unlike the others who
> have managers that don’t give a rat’s butt who the account is or the
> leap of faith it took for customers to send their records offsite.
>
> One of my first sales calls was with a very large international law
> firm here in town. She told me they had 70,000 containers with a
> competitor and over 75% had no descriptive contents or destroy dates
> listed in any database. Pull and refile charges to record contents
> would be in well into 6 figures. Perm out fees without delivery
> would have been close to double that.(over $500,000)  Her hands were
> tied. They are at the absolute mercy of the competitor’s rate
> increases and business practices. I promised myself that we would
> never put a customer in that position. I know- preaching to the
> choir but you would be amazed at the attitudes of people that walk
> in here for the first time. Most arrive with predisposed crummy
> attitudes learned from being mistreated. All leave knowing that we
> do care and that I will personally get out of bed if necessary to
> deliver a tape, container or document.
>
> I hope the listserve is aware that there are still some of us that
> truly care about their information and cherish their business!

As I said, there are hundreds of businesses that take this attitude!
Speak out or change vendors.  But don't allow yourself to mistreated.
PRISM stands ready to defend you, but you must alert them to issues
such as this one as unauthorized re-boxing is wrong and unauthorized
billings are wrong.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134