From:
"Graves, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:18:31 -0500
I'm not sure what you mean by "deletion of the location pointers."  Does that mean you're just removing the document (metadata) from the ECM system, and leaving the actual document on the magnetic WORM?  Or are you referring to something that happens within the magnetic WORM system?

If you're just removing the document (metadata) from the ECM system, I think you're playing with fire in a room full of gunpowder.  It's much more difficult to find a record straight from the storage system, but the record still remains completely intact.  I'll use the "I'm not a lawyer" disclaimer, but I would think the records could be considered discoverable.

One of the benefits of using magnetic WORM is that the record is not locked forever; you can establish an "unlock" date for each record when it's committed.  If your ECM system is closely aligned with your retention schedule, you can automatically establish those unlock dates when the document is committed to the system.  When the record is ready for destruction in the ECM system, it is also ready in the magnetic WORM.  (I know this will stir up some debate about event-based retention, but that's what happens when the burden of retention lifecycle is placed on a storage system)

I try to straddle the line between RM and IT (sometimes causing discomfort in certain muscle groups), but I think your legal/compliance team is right in this instance.  The IT group sounds like they have a "keep forever" mentality.

Mark Graves