From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:19:02 -0400
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Lori Calovich <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I am looking for guidance on how to decide what type of application a
> company needs to manage their records (Document-Records-Information
> Management).

My suggestion would be to create a functional requirements document. Gather
together a group of stake holders in  a conference room. White board what
everyone thinks they need. do a google search for "functional requirements"
+"document management" (replace document with records or information for
subsequent searches) the results will give you a good idea of what others
have identified.

Once your FRD is completed you can issue a RFI to various vendors. you can
then do a compare and contrast the various systems. The FRD should also
include information about your IT infrastructure, number of users and
locations.

 Also looking for a valuation checklist when comparing vendors, what should
> a good RM application contain?

Download a copy of DoD5015.2 ver 3. review it for the must have
requirements. Virtually all of the ERM systems on the marketing place are
certified against that requirements document. That will give you the
baseline functionality. Also be sure to check out the ARMA bookstore seek
out John Phillips article "selecting Software for Managing Physical and
Electronic Records" from the IMJ

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va