From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 21:10:03 -0400
Very clear.

Thank you again, Luciana.

----- Original Message -----
From: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed Jun 17 20:17:26 2009
Subject: Re: [RM] Section of a Records Management Application

A vendor standard requires the product to respect it in order to be
certified. Users can choose to buy a certified or a non certified
product depending on the organization's requirements.  For example,
agencies of the US Federal Government would have to buy products
which are DoD 5015-2 certified.  Canadian agencies do not and there
is no standard that tell them what is appropriate for them to have as
a recordkeeping system.

A user standard does not require any product to do anything and does
not certify products.  It tells a user who operates within a certain
community (e.g. the European Union, which commissioned through the
European Commission and endorses the Moreq2 standard) that, for the
community to consider his/her records trustworthy and his business
accountable, he/she has to use a recordkeeping system that fulfills
certain requirements, such as applying a classification system, a
required set of metadata, a disposition schedule, etc. to all the
records stored in it.  How the user does assemble such a system and
what the user buys is not prescribed by anybody.  So the user may
choose to buy a complex system capable of implementing all the
required and optional modules, if it is a large and complex
organization, or may select to have a few off the shelf or open
source inter-operable applications that only satisfy the required
modules.  In addition, the various required modules can be adapted to
the culture of the country and/or the organization.  This means that,
depending on the needs of the business, each organization will have a
different system.  Finally, user standards apply to everyone,
regardless of the community in which they belong, because those who
are not bound by their requirements can use them as generally
accepted guidelines on putting together their own recordkeeping system.

I hope this clarifies it.  If not, ask again.  Best regards back,

Luciana