From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:27:49 -0400
And a couple of other comments on a Friday afternoon.

The phrase "contracted with a well-known ECM vendor to do a "vendor-neutral"
needs assessment." is like saying "We retained the company's labor union
representatives to conduct a survey to see if employees like to pay union
dues." You did what?

You can assure your VP that anyone employed by a software vendor that
recommends someone buy a competing product will be fired or given a desk in
a closet. Ask him/her if they would ever tell someone to not use your
company's services and to use the services of a competitor. And then report
their recommentation to their own management. Not likey.

And Re:"Our legal department was pushed to purchach a email archiving
solution, which then had to pair with an e-discovery vendor, because the
company was on Gartner --- even though the legal department preferred
another more robust EDMS vendor that could do both and more." Maybe they
could be developed into an ally for taking the time to make a good decision.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management