From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:14:40 -0600
I'm not certain I understand the difference between someone typing something
inappropriate on Twitter and someone saying the same thing at an ARMA
meeting, or a MER conference, or on a listserv. Public is public is public.
That's why so many of the social policies today boil down to "Don't be
stupid".

As an alternative, I suspect that part of the issue is that CEOs aren't
generally participating on listservs, or speaking at conference breakout
sessions, etc. because their schedules don't allow or they haven't
prioritized to allow. Same same for Twitter, FB, etc.

Of course then there's Tony Hsieh, the CEO of Zappos, a billion-dollar
retailer, who attributes a non-insubstantial part of their growth to unusual
outreach and marketing including heavy use of social media. And a number of
high-profile folks have at least used blogs pretty heavily in the past -
Jonathan Schwartz of Sun and Bob Lutz at GM come immediately to mind.

So I think this story also should be read as "what does social media" mean
(I don't really count LinkedIn as more than an online contact management
app) and "what does CEO mean" since the story only focuses on Fortune 100
CEOs. Lots of their senior management who are NOT the CEO do use social
media and lots of other CEOs do as well.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company,
organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

jesse
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins