From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:33:34 -0600
I use pbWorks most often. It's free for the basic solution and more for more
capabilities. I have also used editme, wetpaint, wikispaces, and others
(same "freemium" model - free for basic, costs a bit for things like more
storage, integration into organization's security, etc.). Mediawiki, the
software that runs Wikipedia (so you know it's scalable) and a custom
version that runs Intellipedia (so you know it can be secure), is open
source. In other words, free.

My company uses Socialtext, which is an enterprise wiki and social software
provider. It is NOT free. According to its pricing page
(http://www.socialtext.com/products/pricing.php) it is FREE for the first 50
users; after that pricing starts at $6/user/month for hosted and $1,000+ per
month for onsite or appliance based (we use hosted).

I also use for particular purposes Google Docs (free for most users, my
version also free), Zoho (also free for most users), Thinkfree (same same),
and a number of other wikis. They don't necessarily "work together"; then
again, not sure how much YG really "works together" with anything else - nor
does email generally. And I usually only use one tool at a time with a
particular client or for a particular initiative. But Google and Zoho both
offer very comprehensive solutions that include a number of capabilities
which internally DO work together.

And did I mention most of them are free or VERY low cost? (Particularly when
compared to MOSS - and even more so when compared to most ECM-based
collaborative tools.) Yes, of course, they are not applicable to every
collaborative effort. But email is a HORRIBLE way to collaborate for too
many reasons to mention.

Oh, and with regards to this: <snip> well if you use YG properly you don't
get attachment overload. you upload the file then send out a notice with a
link thus no overload</snip>

It's like deleting the previous message from a thread to save electrons and
digest users' sanity - almost nobody actually does it. It *would* be useful
if organizations and users did, but they don't.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company,
organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

jesse
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins