From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:20:05 -0700
Hugh Smith wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:
>>>
>> looking at the application, another thing occurs to me-
>> the applicant releases the city from any civil liability due to
>> anything they may do with your info.
>>
>> That means to me that if they do something stupid with my ss# or
>> other info, I can't sue them.
>> ---- yeah, give Bozo the keys to the house, and your wallet too!
>>
>> regards
>> Jay
>

> #1, you can always sue people or organizations.  Can you win??
> #2, if people are stupid enough to have a Facebook page and they put
> it out there, then potential employers should be able to see it.  They
> can tell a great deal about you from one look.  Do you disparage
> former employers, do you have inappropriate information that would
> embarrass a future employee? We have seen Twitter hurt companies.  We
> see emails hurt companies.  Facebook has a huge potential to embarrass
> an employer or involve them in lawsuits.   I could give an example but
> we all know hundreds of those situations from past RAIN postings.
> #3, Montana is a different world.  People out there are still
> unspoiled.  Their "word" still means something.  They have
> expectations of proper behavior which the ACLU has beat down in larger
> cities. Bozeman had no intentions of hurting anyone and they would not
> have. Internet stuff should be like FOIA. It should all be public
> because it always can be. There are simply no safeguards that work.
> #4, We have been told time and again, everything on the Internet can
> be and will be looked at. You can bet if a city employee is discovered
> to be a pedophile  or a Nazi and is running a Facebook site with that
> information displayed, sooner or later the public will know it.  Then
> the town looks criminal because they did not take every opportunity to
> investigate a potential employee.  The rule is, if it is on the
> Internet, it is there forever and there is always a hacker who can
> find it and expose it.
>
> My High School Class Reunion Committee developed a Facebook page.
> Everyone is told to go look. Anyone who can go look can then disclose
> that info to anyone they wish to.  But who cares.  It was meant to be
> public. Soon Facebooks will be declared a record, they are an
> autobiographical finger print, they are the DNA of the true soul and
> will be required to be saved as a record for 20 years.  Shoot, every
> other digital key stroke has been ruled that way.  Bozeman is ahead of
> their time.  Wait and see!
>

> Hugh Smith
Hi, Hugh
I (mostly) agree with what you say, but I was referring to the PII in
the form itself and in the rest of the application.
The language seems to release them from the consequences of any misuse
of anything.
Perhaps the applicable laws are good enough there?

Additionally: even in places where personal responsibility is strong,
you can  get meatheads and bad apples. You also can have people moving
there from other places and getting jobs.

Ok, enough paranoia for now.

Regards
Jay

--