From:
Janet L Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 14:33:29 -0500
Chris,

   I was chuckling to myself as I read your posting.  I pretty much guessed
   where you were going.  It brought back memories from a previous life.
   The company I worked for years ago, also went through a job
   reclassification.  It was handled by an outside firm using whatever
   magical job classification scheme they had.  They never talked to me or
   my supervisor about what I did – or what he did.  I don’t think it would
   have made much difference; at that time we both had jobs which were less
   common back them.  I was classified as a Librarian.  My supervisor, who
   was the compliance attorney, was also in some weird, off the wall
   category.  We both had a laugh about it and then went to work to rectify
   the situations.

   I did as much research as I could regarding the position of a Records
   Manager and pointed out how different my job responsibilities were from
   those of a librarian.  What it pointed out to the outside firm was all
   jobs couldn’t be pigeon holed into their predefined list of occupations.
   There were going to be exceptions. and my position was one of them!

   My suggestion?  Do what you said you are doing.  Check the List Archives
   for discussions on job classifications.  Document what you do and how it
   relates to Records Management – not Human Resources.

   Good Luck.