From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:07:23 -0400
Hi Chris.....

I think that many of us in RIM field struggle to get our positions where
they best fit in the organization and then to have they positioned
financially where they should be.  This will be a struggle, and will no
doubt take some time,

The job you described is not an "analysts" position.  It is a Records
Managers position.

When building my resume I used "power words" or phrases such as Developed
annual and long term operational plans....; Provided leadership and
guidance...; Conducted IM/RM compliance audits....;Monitored information
and privacy legislation...;Developed, recommended, implemented and
maintained policies, procedures and guidelines...;  Use words like
analyze, direct etc..   I think you get the idea.

We have career bands here as well and positions are based on skills,
education and risk within the organization.  HR is not a great department
to report to.  I'm not certain why they would place you there in the first
place?  However, it is my experience that the best placement for records
staff is either under legal or IT.

You need to show the importance of records to your organization. Assisting
with a lawsuit would help in this manner.  Show how effective records
management saves time and money.    Dr. Mark Langemo has a terrific book
on "Successfully Managing Records Programs".  The book is at home on my
bookshelf and I can't remember the exact name, but I have found it to be a
great help.

Good luck and take care.....

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"