From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 17:58:54 -0400
>Does Google have a records manager?

While I cannot categorically say THEY DO NOT, based on discussions I had
with their product managers and application Evangelists at the ARMA
Conference in Las Vegas, I can say with reasonable confidence, the answer is
NO.   The concepts of what we in RIM know as basic principles and practices
were completely foreign to them.

On multiple occasions while discussing the functionality of G-Mail or Google
Apps in an Enterprise or Private use setting, when asking questions about
how Google would address certain issues related to backups, retention,
versioning, access control, caching, and other topics, the SMEs would say:

"Why would you ever want to do that?"  or "Do organizations ever really need
to do that?"   This was on the first day of the show... by the third day of
the show, they stopped asking those questions and instead were saying "We're
going to look into that" or "I don't think we've actually addressed that
presently"

...and I think AT LEAST 3 others on the List can back me up on these points =)

Larry

It's sort of like the discussion last week about using M$Sharepoint as a
collaborative toolkit, some wonder how they could have ever rolled it our
lacking some real basic functionality that users are seeking... but when
your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems tend to look like nails to you.