From:
"Greene, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:06:33 -0500
List,

I know that many of you have been through what I am about to go through, so I
turn to you for guidance/lessons learned and appreciate any feedback.  My
company has a tendency to be behind the curve by a couple years.

I am charged with developing a content management resolution for our
unstructured systems.  We have shared drives, etc. and very little
restrictions regarding the saving of documents.  We do have folders that are
titled 'Retain' that do not have retention periods set, while all other
documents that reside in non-Retain folders are deleted after 3 years.  The
creation of the 'Retain' folders was only a quick resolution that was
implemented before my time and unfortunately has created more problems than
had we addressed these issues 2 years ago.  I had to clean up the paper
"mess" we had before I could attack the electronic mess.

I know this is a common problem that challenges records professionals and I
do have a plan of attack with strategy and IT backing.

My company has SharePoint services (WSS) and it is being suggested that we
use this technology as a beginning "solution" to our situation.  While I am
familiar with all the information regarding SharePoint and its issues, I
would like to speak to individuals who have been in this very similar
situation (would be very helpful to speak to those who utilize WSS) within
medium sized (8,000 + employees) companies.

Please contact me off-line.  Thanks.

Ben Greene CRM,ermp

(ph) 612.661.7050