From:
Carol Choksy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:42:48 -0400
I've spent the past month tracking social media concerning the Iranian
elections as a sort of experiment to see if I could figure out a way to
capture the "conversation" as it evolves. The results are mixed,
particularly when the tweets exceed 200,000 per hour and are running by so
fast one cannot even keep up. Besides the problems of sorting fact, rumor,
and the ever-present problem of analysts expressing opinions as facts, it
looks like it's possible, but only on something on a smaller scale and with
lots of rules. For example, could you do something like this for a company
during a disaster, assuming the phone system and cell towers were still up?

I still have lots of questions and wonder what your ideas are on this?

I was doing this as a way to help my husband with his research, he is a
professor of Iranian history, and it turned into a mini-research project for
me as well! Here are some of the results of his work, mine will take a bit
longer to digest!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamsheed-k-choksy/engage-irans-citizens-iso_b_
229159.html
<https://www.exchange.iu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=4dcfb5e13c144c74b24b61e479024b
f6&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2fjamsheed-k-choksy%2fengage-iran
s-citizens-iso_b_229159.html>

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MmM1YmVmZjhhZDQ1M2I2M2JkODhjNjU5Mzc2N2E
zZTE=#more
<https://www.exchange.iu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=4dcfb5e13c144c74b24b61e479024b
f6&URL=http%3a%2f%2farticle.nationalreview.com%2f%3fq%3dMmM1YmVmZjhhZDQ1M2I2
M2JkODhjNjU5Mzc2N2EzZTE%3d%23more>

http://www.e-ir.info/?p=1687
<https://www.exchange.iu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=4dcfb5e13c144c74b24b61e479024b
f6&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.e-ir.info%2f%3fp%3d1687>