From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:05:14 -0700
Hugh Smith wrote:
In the Stimulus Bill, not one legislator claimed to read the entire
thing.

Hugh, thank you (and others) for the kind words regarding my posting.
Note that the stimulus bill covered many more topics besides the
electronic medical records initiative. As I understand it, the stimulus
package provided the means (the funding)at $19 billion; now legislators
are working on the method, as I saw repeated references to pending
legislation, lobbying, etc.. currently occurring. My sense is that the
current legislative process is aimed at identifying standards for
implementation, in particular, standards setting bodies (such as the
CCHIT). This would make sense as one of the principle goals is data
portability. Note that the NHIN is already enabled, having begun during
the Bush administration, and is in the process of implementation. Its
possible the EHR effort will be included in the larger health care
reform legislation being worked on. I will confess ignorance on this
topic, however, I also regularly visit sites that offer legislative
summaries - if I see anything I'll pass it on.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741