From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:03:24 -0400
On a recent Eli Stone episode, opposing counsel complied with a
request for disclosure by delivering hundreds of boxes just before
closing arguments.  The intent was to overwhelm the Plaintiff's
attorney with so much work that they could not effectively prepare an
adequate strategy due to the overwhelming amount of information.  It
was also intended to exhaust the attorneys just prior to closing
arguments.

It strikes me that we are being overwhelmingly being exhausted by
email, the internet, twitters, Facebook and so on.  We spend so much
time we have precious little for our family and friends and the work
that really matters.

Every day we receive 20% of our emails that have important
information, things we must reply to.  But then we have the 80% we
must sift through that is outside this arena.

My nephew talked me into opening a Facebook account so we could share
family photos, news etc.  But immediately I was overwhelmed with new
links and time to make connections. Plus I also have the inevitable
LinkedIN updates.

Maybe part of our economy's sag is just wasted productivity.  Maybe
some of the stress is just dealing with all the additional requests
for time.

Think of the President of the country or a corporation and the first
thing they need is a gatekeeper to sift through who they should see
and limit wasted time.  Everyone wants a bit of their time and someone
must make that determination.

But now we all have that same thing happening to us if we are a
plumber, a architect or a lowly vault salesman. Our time is diluted.

People say Facebook can be good for business and social networking is
all the rage.  But at what cost?

I canceled the Facebook in less than 48 hours, I probably will exit
LinkedIn if one can do such a thing.  The Internet has found a way to
turn friends and family into SPAM and Virus risks.

I believe the next round of products will be the antisocial services.
A promising programmer should invent a system that rates your
communications. For example you place your self at Level One
Availability and your boss and best clients and your wife & kids can
reach you. At level two friends of the highest sort and brothers and
sisters.  But doing this has  a price, you have to rate people because
there is just not enough time in the day.  We never have down time. On
Sunday I found myself setting my phone to vibrate instead of turning
it off.
Wow!  I need to be so open to a call that I can't give the Lord his due.

I think I need to tune out before I am found on a park bench
twittering to the bum next to me!  So I am back where I
started........"Call me"

Plus.........I just can't say anything in less than 140 characters.
Can I get an AMEN?  I thought so!

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults