From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:14:48 -0700
You are, without doubt, smarter than the average bear!

I was off the list for several weeks while I took a 2-week vacation.
Along with visiting some old ARMY buddies, some friends, and family
members around Independence Day; I did the Route 66 trip, Chicago to
Santa Monica.  Fascinating; ghosts of Buzz & Tod.  There is an old
stretch in Oklahoma (just past Mickey Mantle's hometown) that was paved
9 feet wide; cement.   It is still there.  West of Kingman, AZ Rt. 66
winds up and down through the mountains through gold mining country;
through Oatman, AZ.  Wild burros begging for food - welfare recipients.
 Given the steep terrain and switchbacks of that 58-mile stretch, I
cannot fathom driving it with 1920's and 1930's trucks and cars; with
their inherently bad brakes and suspensions.

Perhaps my next driving vacation will be the AlCan Highway; Alaska
Highway as it is sometimes known.  Will take my Jeep for this; not the
convertible.    Here I come Yogi Bear and Bullwinkle.   I have
researched how to take high caliber tools into and through Canada.

Another possible future trip is Highway 50; "lonliest highway in the
USA" in eastern Nevada.  San Francisco (original western end of Hwy 50)
to Ocean City, Maryland.  Hwy 50 passes through western Nevada about 30
miles south of where I live now.  It goes through central Missouri about
30 miles south of where I grew up.  From Ocean City, MD perhaps drive
down to Virginia Beach, VA and then come back home via Highway 60;
Virginia Beach, VA to Los Angeles; then drive back to Reno.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/23/2009 2:24 PM >>>
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Greene, Ben <[log in to unmask]>