From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:04:58 -0700
Thank you Mary.   Yes, I am aware of the 'named' highways; although I do
not pretend to be an expert.  I ran across a lot of it when researching
my Route 66 trip.

When I was a kid Highway 40 ran about eight miles south of my dad's
cattle ranch in central Missouri.  Then Interstate 70 was built in the
late '50s that essentially replaced Hwy 40.  I remember when I-70 was
being constructed through C. Missouri; Hwy 40 became an access road
running just north of the new interstate.  Hwy 40 had at one time  been
known as the route of the National Road, and then the Victory Highway.
A little further west in Kansas it followed the old Oregon Trail and out
further west the Lincoln Highway.  There were two routes the Lincoln
highway followed after splitting this side of Fallon, NV.  The southern
route went through Carson City and up over the Sierra Nevada Mtns.
around Lake Tahoe over Echo Summit and down to Sacramento, CA; now Route
50.  The northern route went to Wadsworth, NV and then to Reno, NV, and
over the Sierra Nevada Mtns. via Donner Summit and to Sacramento. (Yes,
named after the Donner Party.)  It was Route 40 and now known as
Interstate 80.  It had passed through Reno as Route 40; and that
particular route is now known as 4th street.  You would not wander
around that eastern part of 4th Street at night; lest you be mistaken
for someone who ... is not a RIM Mgr.

Inadvertantly, and stretching over several decades, I have traveled all
of Interstate 70 except for the very eastern section near the E.
terminus in Maryland.  When I left for my 'Route 66' trip in late June I
drove east on Hwy 50 to Denver.  That included I-70 from W. Utah to
Denver.  Beautiful stretch of Rocky Mountains between Grand Junction, CO
to Denver.  Colorado River is beautiful and active through there.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/23/2009 3:32 PM >>>
Steve,
As a road trip buff, I think your trip sounds awesome.  You didn't
mention this, but parts of the routes you mention as past and previous
trips were once part of the "Lincoln Highway" - back in the day (very
ancient history) when highways were named instead of numbered because
they were not ubiquitous as they are now.

If you are interested in such arcane history - here goes -
http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/history/.

Another famous route was called the Bankhead Highway -
http://www.americanroads.us/autotrails/bankheadhighway.html - it is a
more southerly route from coast to coast that roughly equates to
I20/I10
now. It was named for a former senator from Alabama whose
granddaughter
was a notorious personality in Hollywood from the twenties to the
fifties.

Mary Hilliard

the message.