From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:19:35 -0700
I did the Alcan Highway in a 1967 Volkswagen Bug with a friend in 1974.
Everybody thought we were nuts. They were just bringing in the supplies
to build the Alaskan pipeline. The roads actually were in pretty good
shape, except for a side trip south of Haines Junction to Prince Rupert,
where one lane of a bridge had collapsed. We crossed on the side that
hadn't fallen. Looking back, I think we WERE nuts (the only reason we
could cross was because we were in a relatively small car). Its
absolutely beautiful, but bring the bug spray!

Much more recently, I've driven the loneliest highway. You'll experience
an interesting phenomenon. People will come speeding up behind you,
practically tailgating you, then just follow you for miles, creating
these little traffic clusters of a few cars at a time. Its very weird,
because there will be virtually no other traffic for miles except for
this group of cars right behind you. Why don't they pass? Why are they
following us? After a while, my wife and I figured out it was a safety
measure. People travel in groups - after all, it IS the loneliest
highway! Kind of like covered wagons.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741