From:
"Malzone, Donna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:44:55 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Our company is trying to put together some guidelines on instant
messaging and text messaging.  We're thinking about categorizing instant
messaging as a transitory document (no record value) since our
technology does not allow the message to be saved once the communicator
is turned off.  Also, we are not allowed to send instant messages
outside the company.

However, text messaging is harder to control and can be easily used to
send messages externally. We think we'll put some specific guidelines on
using text messaging.

When we approach this subject with senior management, they seemed
confused.  We think they don't know the difference between instant
messaging and text messaging.

Can anyone provide me with some good sources to define these two
messaging services.

Thank you.

Donna

Donna Malzone | Records and Information Consultant

Records and Information Management Program

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Inc.

401 Park Drive

Boston, MA  02215

P 617 246-3534 | C 781 760-5754

This message is a PRIVATE communication.
If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy
or use it and do not disclose it to others.  Please notify the
sender of the delivery error by replying to this message and then
delete from your system.  Thank you.