From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:26:48 -0600
Lori,

New schedule for this in North Dakota

Chris Flynn

In an attempt to further address the issue of retaining email records and other potential records that come from a variety of communication technologies, we made a couple of changes to the ND General Records Retention Schedule.  Record series 450102, Email Records, has been modified and 450103, Voice Mail Records, has been deleted.

ITD has installed an Engage Record System for IP telephone users at the State Capitol that enables the capturing of telephone conversations and storing them on a server for future retrieval.  These telephone conversations are similar to email messages because they may be official records of the agency.

Therefore, record series 450102 is now titled, Electronic Communication Records.

This series contains e-mail messages, voicemail messages, recorded telephone conversations, instant messages, etc.  created or received by employees of the department.

RETENTION:  Determine the record status of the message based on the content.  If the message is a record that documents official business of the department, the record must be retained for the appropriate retention period defined on either the ND General Records Retention Schedule or your department’s records retention schedules.  Dispose of records with transitory value after action is taken.

Records with transitory value are those with minimal or no documentary or evidentiary value.  They are only needed for a limited period of time in order to complete a routine action or prepare an ongoing record.

The updated schedule can be found at:  <http://www.nd.gov/itd/records/retention/998/998001_descriptions.pdf>http://www.nd.gov/itd/records/retention/998/998001_descriptions.pdf