From:
Katherine Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:11:26 -0500
Hi Amy,
I just graduated from the School of Information at the University of
Michigan with a specialization in Archives and Records Management in May, so
I'm a little familiar with the area.  Do you mind letting me know what
program you'll be involved with?  I think Wayne State has an RIM
certificate.  Is that it?

Anyway, regardless of what program you're in, I'd suggest getting involved
with the local ARMA chapter.  I know of at least two in Michigan, there's
one in the Detroit area and I think another around Lansing.  There may
actually be more, but those were the two I encountered while I was there.
 Since Detroit was closer, that's the one I heard from/about the most often.
 I wasn't actively involved with their chapter since most of their meetings
were at times conducive to working people and not so much to student
schedules.  (It can be really difficult to take an entire day off from work
and classes to attend a meeting.)   Since you're just getting started, I
think it could be really helpful for you to attend a meeting or two even if
you have to skip class to do it.  If you're going to the Wayne State
program, I know several of their faculty members are heavily involved with
the Detroit ARMA chapter, so you'll probably hear about it shortly after
school starts anyway.

I'm still job hunting, but it seems like most of my successes in finding
both internships and job opportunities came about from talking to people at
meetings and conferences.  (I actually found out about at least one job a
couple of months before it was posted that way.)  I think mentioning to
people at meetings like this that you're looking for experience might even
create opportunities for you.  It seems like sometimes people don't think
about doing internships or special projects until someone asks them about
the possibility.  It seems like graduate education for records managers is
actually a fairly new concept.  I went to a conference on electronic records
in May and most of the people there were originally in other fields and just
sort of found themselves with records management responsibilities.  Often
these people were completely astounded that these kinds of educational
programs existed.

Best of luck to you in your job search!  If you have any other questions you
think I could help with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Katherine Goodwin