From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:41:53 -0600
I saw this article on DocuCrunch this morning:

These doc storage mistakes could mean big trouble
July 21, 2009 by Sam Narisi
Posted in: SolutionsSpecial Report

http://www.docucrunch.com/the-law-wants-to-see-your-paperwork-are-you-ready

Which included this statement by Karen Cummings executive vice president for
Sales & Marketing at document software provider Omtool about the ways in
which companies leave themselves open by a casual attitude to document
management.

"Q: What is the main legal aspect of document management that most companies
miss?

A: If your company gets into a lawsuit there’s a good chance that there will
be some kind of discovery process where you will be asked to produce all
relevant documents relating to the issues in question. In recent years
courts have allowed plaintiffs to make major demands on companies with
so-called “fishing expeditions.” And it’s not just Fortune 100 companies
that have this problem.

It’s really important that corporate documents be readily and speedily
retrievable. That’s a good reason why all your paper documents should be in
electronic form and in searchable format whether searchable PDF text or Word
 The way to do this is by setting up procedures for identifying important
documents and converting them into searchable electronic format using
scanners or multi functionals with a software product like those Omtool
offers which will help you convert direct and save the documents. Depending
on the size of your firm and the paper you generate you may then want to add
a high-end document management system such as Documentum or SharePoint."

There are several points here that make me grind my teeth! I would
appreciate the listserv's comments to keep my perspective in balance.

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing
Intermountain Record Center, Inc