From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:18:22 -0700
A successful policy for us in Multnomah County has simply been to tie in
with our Facilities and Property Management folks to give us a heads up
on impending moves. We then contact the agencies in question and offer
our assistance in managing the move of their records. Often, records
volumes are high, out of date, and subject to destruction. We can
frequently go in and identify significant volumes for immediate
destruction. We also facilitate the movement of inactive records to off
site storage. And we can help with advice on legacy electronic systems.
We don't do the physical work, but we do offer training, guidance, and
sympathy.

The hero potential in this situation is enormous. Almost without
exception, customers are relieved to have someone helping them with this
task, a task that often can simply be accomplished by applying records
retention schedules to large volumes of records. It's a fantastic way to
expand your customer base - at least two of our major departmental
customers were attracted through exactly this scenario. It is well worth
the extra time and effort in the short term to build a positive, long
term relationship. The best policy may simply be the following: "Contact
us - We can help!"

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741