From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:30:16 -0600
One other thing that I have shared with a number of ARMA chapters and will
be speaking about in Orlando: I'd strongly suggest anyone facing this issue
(and it's all of you, whether you know it or not) put together a policy that
is short and that boils down to "Don't be stupid". If you try to tie down
Twitter, blogs, etc. in pre-publication reviews and approvals, you lose a
significant amount of the value the tools provide. These tools are best when
they are timely and authentic, both of which get lost in 14 layers of review
and approval process.

And for those of you who may be tempted to attempt to ban some or all of
them (are you listening, DoD generally and USMC specifically?): it's all but
impossible to do so because of the proliferation of sites and ways to access
them - and I submit you don't want to anyway. Rather, figure out how best to
take advantage of their capabilities while ensuring that the organization's
needs for security, privacy, confidentiality, etc. are respected. For those
of you in government, many of these tools are superlative mechanisms for
interacting with your constituencies at low cost. Yes, there are issues to
consider - see e.g. the article Patrick Cunningham and I wrote for the
Jan/Feb 2009 issue of Information Management (was the IMJ). But they can be
addressed, and arguably Web 2.0 is more used in government than in any other
sector today. Don't believe me, do a search for "Government 2.0".

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company,
organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

jesse
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins