From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:34:44 -0700
An example these 'complex' systems with middle-step processing data
'records' is medical claims and the systems that process them. The raw data
might be the two dozen or so processing actions for a given claim, which
might be a claim submitted by a patient or a provider. Each step leaves
records behind; for example step 7 might be the patient's new phone number,
step 14 might be the batch error report showing success or failure of the
previous processing transaction which may have been an important process,
and the subject of a law suit, because it's evidence of a company 'decision'
, for example data showing how the system codes something - maybe a medical
procedure- which in turn might be based on certain information in
other records stored in another module of the system. The processing data
doesn't move, neat and tidy, from one processing action to the next, to the
final record which might be the payment and remittance advice. Each step
leaves 'pools'  or 'puddles' behind: huge volumes of data that accumulate
where created, and if extracted as a screen shot or a print out is readable
to non-experts suits, and is very much the subject of a law suit if it is
important enough.

So the records manager has to decide for each each pool or puddle, such as
steps 7 and 14,  'is it a record?' If so is it the same record type (eg a
'related record') as the final record, therefore needing the same retention
period? Or is it merely an administrative record, unrelated to the final
record, because the processing step is something minor ? Then once you
decide what raw data are 'records' and what kind of records they are, you
must decide how they will get destroyed by IT staff to conform to the
retention period assigned: will you build in automated destruction
programming? Will you get IT people to manually destroy stuff? How often?
Then you must make rules around storage migration: will you let the data
move offline to be stored on inaccessible media? (laws are getting
increasingly stringent laws about use of inaccessible media like backup
tape). IT shouldn't decide these things but often do, considering only
efficient 24/7 functioning of the system and cheap storage options. So you
have to poke your nose in and find out what data exists, where it lives
through its lifecyle, what it looks like (eg as federal and state
edisacvoery rules say what 'categories of information' it is),
how/when/where it is destroyed, especially when hit with preservation orders
or production orders.

maureen

--
Maureen,