From:
Stephen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:58:39 -0400
"I haven't had much trouble getting what I feel are very good jobs. The job I just got a few months ago advertised a CRM required. I had the experience so I applied anyway. They hired me within a week of applying without even a mention that they want me to get it."

I agree whole-heartedly with William in wanting more and more people to apply to sit for the CRM exams.  To me, the CRM is the designation to have in the RIM industry.  However, I can also see where Nolene is coming from.

I was happy as a clam back in 2005 working for CompUSA, right up until the day they laid me off.  I had applied to sit for the exams back then, but I was never able to take any.  I didn't think it was necessary at the time because I was gainfully employed.  I was fortunate enough to apply to my current employer and I moved from TX to PA within two months.  Like CompUSA, they too preferred someone with a CRM which I didn't have at the time and yet I was still hired because of my experience.

Nevertheless, when I was laid off in 2005, I made a commitment to sit for the exams and earn the CRM.  My current employer did encourage me to take the exams and they reimbursed me upon passing each one.  However, they never pushed me to take the exams and I could of continued working here without doing so.

Sitting for the exams was a great experience.  I spent about 400 hours studying for the exams and I learned many things.  I still have much to learn but knowing that I could still teach this old dog some new tricks was very satisfying.  Knowing how the economy is now, if I am laid off again, I feel much better equipped to enter the job market and find something new.  The CRM designation coupled with my experience gives me the edge I need to push my career to new heights.

So, I encourage everyone who is thinking about applying to the ICRM to do so and take the plunge.  It is well worth it.

Thanks, Steve

Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CRM, CDIA+
Records Manager
QVC, Inc. Legal Department
O:      484.701.1559
F:      484.701.1021
C:      484.905.2517
E:      [log in to unmask]
A:      Studio Park, 1200 Wilson Dr., MC207, West Chester, PA, 19380-4262

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (even if the e-mail address above is yours), (i) you may not use, copy or retransmit it, (ii) please delete this message and (iii) please notify the sender immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.