From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:54:45 -0400
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So Judge Smith's decision completely throws out the concept of "chain of
> custody" needed to authenticate decisions and actions captured in
> records?! Or did I miss something?

this is the key paragraph from the story

"Superior Court Judge Jack W. Smith said in his ruling that there is no
provision in Alaska state law that prohibits the use of private e-mail
accounts when conducting state business."

has nothing to do with "chain of custody" has everything to do with what
Alaskan law says.

now it is up to the legislature to amend the law such that private email
accounts are prohibited.

from another story
"The judge did a fair amount of research on his own, looking at what other
states have done in comparison to Alaska statute, looking at the legislative
history of the Alaska statute, and ultimately found the Legislature did not
intend to go as far as the plaintiff's claim that they did in enacting the
statute," Assistant Attorney General Mike Mitchell said.
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10892318

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va