From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:42:13 -0400
>The individuals that let him out should have their identity stolen so they can
> enjoy how much fun it is to re-build their lives afterward.

As Ginny pointed out from subsequent stories, yeah...oddly enough this guy
was still in the pokey when this happened...

And in response to Chris's suggestion, I'd agree this may be a proper
punishment.

- Early last year, my eldest daughter had her debit card 'skimmed' by a well
placed gas pump device, complete with a remote camera for PIN collection.
Within 4 hours, they had transferred all of her funds from savings to
checking, done an overdraft withdrawal, and then cleaned over $6500 from all
three of her accounts.

- Two months ago, my youngest daughter purchased something online with a
debit card (see what happens when they turn 18 and think they're adults??)
and had her card jacked and lost over $200 from her account.

- Two weeks ago, someone at a restaurant must have made a second imprint of
my debit card, wrote down the 3-digit code, and within 3 hours had completed
4 transactions for $2400 against my checking account.  These dudes were
pretty crafty- they made online purchases for pickup in electronics stores
and never had to show a card, just enter card number and code... no PIN
required.

Lesson 1- always check the machines you use a card in for a PIN pad device
that may be taped over the real one, or any unusual looking device over the
card slide to avoid having a card "skimmed".  http://bit.ly/1a0WY2 Check
with your bank about the linkages of accounts to the card, and determine if
you can setup a separate PIN for transfers or transactions from the
different accounts.

Lesson 2- NEVER USE a debit card for online transactions!
http://bit.ly/WWsT0 Consider applying for an independent credit card with a
VERY LOW maximum balance ($300-500) and use only that card for those
transactions to avoid any possibility of an online merchant abusing your
card info

Lesson 3- If your debit card leaves your hand for a transaction within a
restaurant or other business, be very cautious where it goes.  As an
accompaniment for this suggestion, give serious consideration to removing
the 3-digit code from the back of your card and memorizing it or writing it
down somewhere else to avoid someone being able to misuse it.
http://bit.ly/XNrtr

I've discontinued signing my cards, instead I write "ASK FOR PHOTO ID" in
the signature area, and if a clerk doesn't I tell them to look at the back
of the card...  if they do, I thank them for asking.

And in all three of the cases above, because we have a 30+ year association
with our bank, we were able to recover EVERY CENT of the fraudulent
transactions made, had new cards issued within 7 days, and suffered no
damage to our credit.  Thank You, Wells Fargo Bank, NA

Larry