From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:46:27 -0700
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Larry Medina<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I've discontinued signing my cards, instead I write "ASK FOR PHOTO ID" in
>the signature area, and if a clerk doesn't I tell them to look at the back
>of the card...  if they do, I thank them for asking.
Great suggestion Larry - I do this for all of my cards.

My identity theft was someone what different.  After returning from
vacation one Thanksgiving I noticed the volume of mail was lower than
normal.  A week later the police showed up and told me they had
arrested an individual for stealing mail from postal boxes and cashing
in the convenience checks credit cards companies provided.
Unfortunately at the time I did not have a locked mail box.

In all this joker wrote six checks worth approximately $7,500 dollars
from three different financial institutions (I have way too many
credit cards).  He and a partner started in Los Angeles and worked his
way down to San Diego.  After he stole mail from a certain individual
he'd go to the CA DMV and acquired a legitimate ID - I was aghast how
easy the process was. The police told me he must have written
approximately 60 checks worth over $100K on various items before he
was caught, ironically as a result of a fight between himself and his
partner over the goods.

Took me almost three months to get my money back; one (I won't name)
refused until I threatened to cut up my card.  I ended up calling all
of my credit card companies and told them to stop sending me
convenience checks.  Also purchased a lock mail box...

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Orange County, CA