From:
Lorrie Robb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:45:00 -0400
Tracy,

We have it in our records management procedures that the owning
organization has the responsibility to approve the destruction of records that
have passed their retention. They are initially given thirty days to respond to
the destruction request. After the 30 days have expired, they get a
second "reminder" notice. If they still do not respond after an additional 30
days, the notice then goes to the Records Officer (myself) to approve the
destruction. The routing system keeps track of who received the original
review and when, if and to whom they may have delegated the review, and
when it was approved or who ignored it. Most organizations respond very well
but you always have those few that know if they ignore it for 60 days it will
just go away. However, I do report to their management they are not fulfilling
their responsibilities and it doesn't often happen twice.

Hope that helps!

Lorrie A. Robb
Records Officer
Idaho National Laboratory