From:
"Furlow, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:57:33 -0600
Hi Tracy,

I am currently battling the very same issue as you.  Here is what I have
found to work.

1)  Send a friendly reminder to the individual, reminding them of the
deadline & that "per policy" this is a vital & necessary part of the
company's records retention program.  Urge them to contact you if they
have questions or concerns.  (This (for me) usually gets all but 1 or 2
back)

2) If no response from #1 - Contact the Corporate Legal Counsel and/or
escalate up to a higher level within your department structure, & let
them know how far behind the authorization is, and who initially
received the notice. (For me - that usually gets them all)

3) If you still have no response - Send more direct communications to
the delinquent individual & state very clearly from the policy, what the
ramifications for non-compliance with the records policy is.  I copy the
individual, their supervisor(s), my superiors & legal counsel.

I have never had it go past #3, since our policy states things like
"disciplinary action, up to and including termination for
non-compliance".  (That is a GREAT motivator to have in your retention
policy).

Hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is.

All the best,

Brad Furlow
Records Manager
Denver, CO