From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:21:42 -0400
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I am waiting for Peter to jump in and state that frontier justice works
> very well...; with an appropriate caliber attention-getting device...

well Brother Whitaker I've found that first one must get the miscreants
attention. I've found that the barrel of a Navy Colt firmly rapped between
the eyes of the individual results in their paying attention to what i'm
sayin'. If you don't have a Navy Colt at hand a ball-peen hammer or any
other heavy metallic device will do. ;-0

now seriously years ago at a former employer we were faced with destroying
10,000 boxes of records. many of the boxes belonged to departments that were
subsumed into others. Our Destruction authorization process was the
following
1. notice sent to department head who (hopefully) signed off
2. then sent to legal for review and authorization
3. once that was done it went to the Tax dept for review and authorization

Using business process analysis we found that Step 1 would take weeks if not
months to complete as department heads refused to sign saying "well I need
to check with legal and tax" soooo we decided to flip the process. the new
process was

1. Send authorizations to Tax Dept. they identified records required for a
tax audit (in the 10K box project this resulted in 2,000 boxes being put on
hold)
2. the authorizations were then sent to the Legal dept (don't remember if
any were put on hold for legal reasons)
3. authorizations were sent to departments with additional notice that Tax
and Legal had reviewed and authorized the destruction. Department heads
signed off within two days

End result we reduced our destruction authorization process from months down
to 10 working days.

so my point is do some process analysis
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA