From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:00:26 -0400
There never seems to be a consensus with the RIM community on how to do
this. For me there are 3 scenario's:

There are some who say the retention policy is the governing piece to
authorize destruction.  When it reaches the end its retention life, it is
destroyed.  Of course if it is part of litigation the destruction process
is put on hold.  Or if the record has historical value, it could be
archived.
Others say it needs to be signed off by the owner and until that happens,
the destruction process is put on hold.  Many people on this list say pass
this onto senior management or give it to legal.  Legal seems to hold a
lot of power within organizations and this seems to be the impetus for
staff to sign off.  Of course if you don't have a legal department in your
organization, this can be a problem.
The last group says this is due for destruction, notify the user of
impending destruction, then communicate this well to the user and the
potential consequences..  If there is still non compliance, the records
manager collects the records, authorizes its destruction and has a
champion in senior management sign off on destruction.

Each organization is different.  We originally followed the first rule.
But due to utter frustration and wasted time, we just started to follow
rule 3.   I know there will be some backlash from users (and perhaps RM
listervers) when records are destroyed and they may still contain some
value or the user feels they may.  Some people are packrats and want to
keep everything forever (any of you have someone like that in your
organization).  This is the first year for this so it will be interesting
to see what happens.  For my staff though it means that some files stored
and forgotten under peoples desks for over 5 years will be collected and
destroyed.  My guess is that this will only happen this year.  When
destruction notices go out next year, those individuals will be quick to
respond and sign-off on those records or advise accordingly.

So IMHO, opinions are all over the place.  Good luck to those who struggle
with these thoughts.

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"

"*PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT WHEN DECIDING TO PRINT THIS MESSAGE*

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Confidentiality Notice:

The information contained in this communication including any attachments
may be confidential, is intended only for use of the recipient(s) named
above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of the message is not
distribution,disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly
resend this communication to the sender and delete it permanently from
your computer system.

Thank you."