From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:36:35 -0700
To some extent, I approach surveillance video in a similar manner to backup tapes. There's a procedure that directs the rotation of the media (whether tape of digital recordings on a computer hard drive) and so long as no one is archiving the video, it is not a records management issue. We have no statutory requirements to retain video, so it is purely an administrative record. When the video is required for a case, it becomes part of the case file (i.e. is retained off of the normal storage system) and is handled from a records management standpoint as a part of the case file. Generally, the tape (if on tape) is not returned to the surveillance system rotation.

In terms of media degradation, that is a separate matter and again, would be covered by administrative practice. In most instances, our video is digital and stored on computers, so degradation is no longer an issue. I would defer to folks with more experience in tape degradation, but I would expect that the tapes start losing fidelity fairly rapidly since they are generally not being stored under optimal conditions and most of those tape decks tend to not be serviced with much frequency.

One thing that we have started to do in our security area since we combined IT security with physical security is to take a look at how our digital equipment is recording. We're standardizing recording formats and frame rates. One of my forensics guys helped out on a recent case and we were able to help apprehend a burglar because my guy was able to enhance some video. He learned a lot doing that and we're now better able to assist in specifying technical details of cameras and recording devices, as well as camera placement for lighting. Not quite records management, but an interesting opportunity when you start bringing technical people to bear on these subjects.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell