From:
Nancy Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:51:18 -0600
All,

I've debated posting this for the last day and decided to as I really want
to make sure I'm not missing anything.  The background....I work for a
wildlife research facility for the USDA.  Over the weekend, a long-term
(17 years) employee died in a car accident.  He supervised 4 people and
was head of a program unit.  Our organization is small, with about 90 on
our main campus, a total of about 120 employees.  This death is obviously
distressing to staff.

I've been involved since early in the week regarding this man's records.
This morning, I and 2 of his colleagues, began going through his office.
They are focusing on subject matter, such as his research studies.  I, of
course, am focusing on his personnel files and the files of those he
supervised.  Our HR person says that things like his own Time &
Attendance, travel vouchers, etc. are personal effects and go to the
family.  Just to be clear, these items are copies and the originals remain
with the office of record to live out retention.  This man's family if
from out of state and probably will come next week to pick up items.

There is a lap-top or two floating around that this man used.  They are
being taken care of according to our policies.  To me, the easy things are
his 1998 tax return folder that will go to his family. Or his drawer of
clearly personal things such as toothbrush and toothpaste.  I won't go
into how hard this is on many levels.  Not only is it difficult on an
emotional level, he wasn't all that organized with his records and has
many, many piles in his office.  The piles are a "mixed bag" of work,
personnel things, etc.

I'm sure some of you have dealt with this.  Am I covering all the bases?
Missing anything?  Oh, yes, his office door will be locked now, probably
should have been on Monday, after office hours.

Many thanks,
Nancy Freeman, Records Manager/Archivist
National Wildlife Research Center
4101 LaPorte Ave.
Fort Collins,  CO  80521
(970) 266-6023