From:
Records Management <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:17:41 -1000
Aloha Nancy,

I think the most important thing to do is to determine what
records/items/artifacts are the company's records and what are his
personal property.  Once you've made that separation, you can provide
the personal items to the man's family so they can proceed to close this
painful chapter in their lives.  As Peter noted, there "may" be things
amongst the personal items that the man MAY not want his family to see,
but that's not your obligation or responsibility to determine that...

As for the "company" records found, you will need to go through the same
process you would do in encountering any "new" records situation and do
an "inventory" of what is found in paper and electronic form.  Once you
have that done, you can apply whatever existing retention or company
policies regarding the future disposition of the records.

Definitely not a fun thing to do especially if you go through their
desks, etc. and find personal items...

Good luck and my prayers go out to the man and his family...

Brian

Brian A. Moriki
Assistant Vice-President & Manager
Records Management Department