From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:41:31 -0500
Stacy:

The University of Minnesota is actually considering changing the
retention of the student transcript from permanent to something more
quantitative, such as 50 years after last date of attendance.  This is
because with electronic records, the information maintained on the
transcript is so sparse, and is courses, grades and an address.  We do
not even put a birth year or other identifying information on the
transcript.  Years ago, when the student records were handwritten on
linen, there was quite a bit of information that might be useful to
historians.  I don't believe that this the case today.

Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
100 Church Street SE
502 Morrill Hall
Campus Mail Code 0263