From:
"Cheng, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:20:43 -0700
Nolene/Brian,

I'm more focused on the Content management side and this has been the
case for the last 10 years, but records management comes up regularly in
my customer work.

Nolene, you absolutely have the right idea in thinking of the big
picture, and ECM being a "pipe-dream" is a cynical statement in my view.
But its very challenging when you have to bring different business
groups together and building consensus.

I definitely believe that poor planning and unrealistic expectations are
a reason for ECM failure, but to be successful you must have top-down
support ($$$) as well as bottom up (this is pulled up by the middle
managers and analysts) if this makes any sense.

This, in combination with a core project/ECM group that has support from
IT, and the business side is extremely important.  Once you have this
you end up having to "evangelize" ECM for months on end.  Doesn't sound
easy does it?  I'm going through this process right now in a much
larger, and challenging environment so your comments are top of mind for
myself as well.

I know of many successful ECM installations that I'm not at liberty to
discuss in detail, but across the board, they have at least 5-10 full
time people managing the ECM infrastructure alone ($$$).

Regarding the metadata/folder argument, this is an extremely common
point of contention in all ECM implementation, but it comes down what
people are used to (folders), and what is optimized (metadata searches).
I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive, but as with most things
in life and work, we need to adjust.

Jason